This Metasonix TM-1 is a N.O.S. (New Old Stock) item which was discontinued in 2009. The TM-1, like all Metasonix products, was lovingly handcrafted in Lakeport, California (by fairies).
"VERY WEIRD AND WONDERFUL ! " is how one of our customers described this unit. If you are the type who likes things that are different
, the Metasonix TM-1 may be just what you have been searching for. With its all vacuum tube circuit, there is no mistaking the sound of the TM-1 with any other device.
Metasonix took the basic circuit of their award-winning TS-21 Hellfire Modulator, and added the world's first vacuum tube audio ring modulator. The result is a new sound-effects device in a small, economical package. The sound is totally unique, powerful and distinctive. Use it as a stand-alone effects box, or mount it in a modular synth with the optional TM-D or TM-M kit.
The pentode preamp gives gain and distortion; the pulser injects small pulses on top of the signal; and the beam tube gives both wavefolding and ring modulation (carrier provided by an internal wide-range oscillator, or inject your own carrier signal). The TM-1 can also be used as a self-contained pseudorandom signal generator, by patching its output back to its input. You've read about "strange attractors" and other chaotic sound generation techniques? The TM-1 is the first all-tube chaotic sound generator. The results must be heard to be believed!
Listen to these TM-1 sound clips:TM-1 with analog synth
TM-1 with guitar (with preamp)
TM-1 with drum machine
- Frequency response: less than 10 Hz to greater than 40 kHz
- Distortion: from less than 0.1% to 100%, depending on control settings and input waveform
- Hum and noise: less than 0.5 mV
- Power input: 10 - 12 volts AC, 50/60 Hz, 0.8 amp at idle
- Inputs: phone jacks for audio input; optional inputs for beam-tube CV, VCA CV, and ring-modulator external carrier (requires at least 20v p-p signal for full effect)
Output: audio (mono)
- Dimensions: 7 1/2" (192mm) x 4 3/8" (112mm) x 3" (77mm)
- Weight (not including accessories): 5 pounds (2.2 kg)