The ES-3 is a Eurorack format module which converts eight channels of ADAT Lightpipe input to DC coupled outputs on 3.5mm jacks, for the ultimate convenience in connection of a DAW directly to analogue synthesizers.
The outputs can be used as control voltages (CVs), for example with software such as Expert Sleepers Silent Way, and can also be used as audio outputs at high, modular synth-compatible levels.
With the ES-3, a single optical cable is all that is need to bring direct CV control from your DAW right into the heart of a modular system.
- Panel width: 8HP
- Module depth: 53mm
- Input connection: optical, ADAT Lightpipe standard
- D/A conversion: 24 bit, 105dB SNR typical
- Output connections: 8x 3.5mm jacks, DC-coupled
- Maximum output voltage: approximately ±10V DC
- Indicators: LED for ADAT clock sync; 2 LEDs per channel indicate output voltage (+ve/-ve)
- Current draw: 145mA on the +12V rail, 45mA on the -12V rail (190mA total)
The front panel is drilled for both Doepfer and Analogue Systems mounting holes (using a 'slot' rather than a single round hole). The power connector is a Doepfer standard 16 way IDC, with -12V furthest from the top of the board.
The module is available as standard with a black aluminium or translucent black acrylic front panel. There was also a limited edition of 25 individually numbered modules with an orange acrylic panel to match the ES-1/ES-2-2 modules. The module has previously been available with an orange aluminium panel - which may be available again in future, according to demand.
From January 2012, ES-3s are shipping marked "ES-3 mk2". These units have an identical specification to the orignal ES-3, but also include a couple of expansion headers. No expansion modules have yet been announced however.